Yesterday after church we went to Mary's GG's house for dinner like we normally do. After eating Mary wanted me to go in to the front room with her. She wanted to sit on the rocking chair. I was tired, we have 12:30 church and was ready for nap. Sitting on the couch closest to her watching her rock and playing on my phone awaiting our time to go home so I could sleep Mary decided to really go for it rocking on the rocking chair. I warned her once to not do it that she could fall back and get hurt. She listened then decided to do it again and not being quick enough to catch her she fell face forward hitting her mouth perfectly on the edge of the coffee table. After seeing blood Ryan and I took her to the bathroom to wash her off and take a look. I could never be in the medical field. I don't do blood, or cuts or anything like that. After seeing her lip was split open I wanted to cry. Ryan told me to stay calm for Mary to keep her calm. So I put my mommy big girl panties on took a breath and held her while Ryan got our things together. After one trip to the insta care, 5 hours at Primary Children's hospital and 6 stitches later, a trip to our neighbor dentist who put her front teeth back in place we came home and put the poor girl to bed.
She was such a trooper, wow. I mean seriously for being a two year in that situation she was a total champ. We all laughed while she was getting her stitches because she was given some anesthetic and was loopy and would praise herself after the nurse told her good job for staying so still and playing on the ipad. She has been playing and talking like she normally does. She's super swollen and we'll get x rays on her teeth later this week to see if there is any major damage. ugh...I really hope they're ok. Her gums are black and blue so only soft foods and smoothies for a little while.
I can't stop rewinding what happened, wishing I was faster, that I was sitting on the floor next to her rather than the couch, that I didn't even let her get on the rocking chair at all. Like I said these dang hormones. I'm grateful that it wasn't worse and she's doing so well. Enough of my pity party, time to put on my mommy big girl panties on again ;)
The pictures really don't do it justice, her bottom lip was just kinda hanging before the stitches.
After getting her stitches, they did a really good job.
This was after taking some baby IBU, her swelling was getting really bad and she wouldn't let me put ice on her lip or face. When she talks her mouth is a bit crooked. Wish I could get better pics. She is still our little cutie, and grateful it wasn't worse.
Taken this morning 2/18. quite the shiner on her eye!





Poor Mary! My goodness that's so scary! I would have done the same thing. Just sat on the couch and watched it happen in slow motion! I think most moms would have been resting just like you. So don't beat yourself up! I can't believe she was such a champ! I feel so bad for her swollen face. :( hope she recovers quickly!
ReplyDelete